CHINA: Golden Highlights Small Group Tour - 14 days
Destinations: CHINA Beijing, Xi’an, Guilin, Yangshuo, Longsheng & Shanghai
Tour Grading EASY: Suitable for travellers with an average level of fitness and mobility
Tour Commences In: Beijing
Number of Days: 14 days / 13 nights
Accommodation: Optional: 5, 4 Star Modern & Boutique Hotels
Leaders: Professional Expert Guides
Tour Concludes In: Shanghai
Tour Style: Luxury Escorted Small Group Tour
Meals: Breakfasts; 13: Lunches; 10: Dinners; 9:
Transportation: Luxury private chauffeur driven air-conditioned vehicles
Join us on an incredible journey through this amazing country. Not only do we visit 3 major cities of China, Beijing, Xian and Shanghai, but we also visit the beautiful county side of Guilin, and Yangshuo. This tour also has some amazing excursions such as to The Great Wall, visiting the incredible Terracotta Warriors, and a cruise down the Li River that is surrounded by breathtaking scenery, and visit the remarkable “Dragon Backbone’ rice terraces located in Lonshen.
- Experience Tiananmen Square and be in awe of the largest square in the world
- Be in awe of the spectacular Great Wall at Mutianyu & its breath- taking grandness as the world’s largest military structure
- Be overwhelmed in the Forbidden City and explore the complicated royal life of the Ming and Qing emperors
- Be entranced whilst trying to comprehend the cosmic harmonies of the Temple of Heaven and the Ancient heavenly
- worshipping and sacrificial ceremonies
- Be delighted at the Emperors holiday resort - the exquisite Summer Palace - a playground for the imperial court
- Be captivated with a rickshaw-ride as you weave your way through the Hutongs
- Spend twilight in the Lake District
- Visit the famous Pearl Market (a must for all shoppers
- Be impressed by the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, designed to house Buddhist scriptures brought back from India by a travelling monk
- Be in awe of The Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum. The tomb of the first emperor of Qin Dynasty, Qin Shi Huang
- Visit the Grand Mosque see the fusion of both Middle Eastern and traditional Chinese architectural styles
- This evening be entertained at the Tang Dynasty Music and Dance Show
- Be impressed by Xian’s ancient city wall, one of the few well-preserved city walls in China
- Be adventurous and rent a bicycle and traverse along the top of the wall’s perimeter for the finest views of this historic city
- Cruise along the Li River and soak up the beauty and serenity of this amazing picturesque landscape
- Explore the scenic back roads, amongst lush rice paddies shaded by limestone pinnacles
- Visit the amazing Dragon’s Backbone Rice Terraces that stretch layer upon layer up the mountain
- Meet some of the ethnic minorities of the Zhuang and Yao nationalities that live here, the Yao women well known for their very long hair.
- Experience the Bund early in the morning and be amazed by the symbols of new Shanghai
- Explore the Yu garden & markets
- Be overwhelmed by the staggering collection of artefacts on display at the famous Shanghai Museum
- Visit the fascinating Shanghai Urban Planning Centre
- Enjoy a spectacular and breath-taking performance of the Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe
- Tour the World Financial Centre Tower the sixth tallest tower in Asia and with-in it the highest hotel in the world
- Walk & shop the delightful French Concession and enjoy the highlights of Shanghai’s international lifestyle
- Enjoy fabulous fine dining with wonderful cuisine and regional delicacies including magnificent Peking Duck
- Private international & domestic airport arrival and departure transfers for all guests
- Domestic Flights -Economy Class: Beijing / Xian – Xian / Shanghai
- (Price and availability for upgrade available on request)
- 5 & 4 Star Modern & Boutique Hotels
- Hotel porterage (1 bag per person)
- Meals as indicated in Itinerary; B = Breakfast: L=Lunch: D=Dinner:
- Chauffeur driven luxury air-conditioned private vehicles for all transfers & sightseeing
- Fully escorted by our experienced professional tour guide
- Entrance fees to sights, monuments, shows and activities as per the Itinerary
- Bottled water when travelling in vehicle
- An exclusive information travel package
- Day 1: Monday: Beijing:
- Day 2: Tuesday: Beijing:
- Day 3: Wednesday: Beijing:
- Day 4: Thursday: Beijing:
- Day 5: Friday: Beijing:
- Day 6: Saturday: Beijing – Xian:
- Day 7: Sunday: Xi’an:
- Day 8: Monday: Xi’an – Guilin:
- Day 9: Tuesday: Guilin – Li River – Yangshuo:
- Day 10: Wednesday: Yangshuo – Guilin:
- Day 11: Thursday: Guilin – Lonsheng – Guilin:
- Day 12: Friday: Guilin – Shanghai:
- Day 13: Saturday: Shanghai:
- Day 14: Sunday: Shanghai:
All our hotels are excellent four and five star boutique hotels. We highly recommend our hotels as they have excellent services and facilities. All rooms have modern facilities, private bathrooms with double or twin beds.
Climate & Clothing:
The best time to travel to China is in spring and autumn; March to May and mid August to November. The majority of rain falls in the summer months, whilst the coldest period is January to February. The general rule is to bring comfortable clothing including lightweight cottons for the warmer months and warmer clothing for the cooler months. Comfortable walking shoes are essential as is a light waterproof jacket. We provide a detailed packing list to all our guests prior to departure.
Currency & Money Matters:
Chinese currency is known as RENMINBI (RMB) and the basic unit is the YUAN (made up 100 Fen). It is similar to the Australian system where $1=100cents. The current exchange rate is approximately $1.00 = 5.00 yuan. We recommend that you take a combination of cash, credit cards and travellers’ cheques. Major foreign credit cards are acceptable in designated shops, hotels and large restaurants.
The electrical current in China is 220 volts AC. 50Hz. There are about four electric plug types with the most common plug being a two narrow pin type A, type C, type I.
You must obtain Comprehensive Travel Insurance as a condition of travelling with Boutique Tours & Travel. We recommend that you purchase insurance at the time of Booking. Boutique Tours & Travel is able to arrange your Travel Insurance.
The official Chinese language is Mandarin (or Putonghua). There are also numerous dialects spoken throughout different parts of China.
Our hotels offer a wonderful selection of dishes at their buffet breakfasts with a wide variety of both menu and venue for lunches and evening
Medical Services & Facilities:
Our hotels have access to a doctor if required. They can also assist guests with purchasing of medicine. The international hospitals in China are very good and have western trained medical and surgical specialists. Dental care is also available.
Passports & Visas:
To enter China you require a passport valid for at least six months beyond the date of entry and with at least two blank pages. A visa is required for most guests and will be organised prior to departure. Contact BT&T to arrange this.
Pre & Post Tour Accommodation:
Boutique Tours & Travel suggests that you may like to arrive a day before the start of your tour to allow time to relax and refresh. You are also very welcome to linger longer after the tour is completed.
Boutique Tours & Travel has negotiated special overnight rates at this hotel for both pre and post tour accommodation. Please ask for details at time of booking. Local tour guides are also available on request.
We welcome single travellers and we are able to arrange single accommodation. We negotiate strongly to keep single supplements at a reasonable cost. If you wish to share a room, we will endeavour to match you with another single guest and adjust the costs accordingly and refund any costs after you return home. We accept no responsibility for the suitability of a room partner.
Specific requests such as adjacent or connecting rooms, bedding requests, smoking or non-smoking rooms and special dietary needs or any other arrangement should be advised at time of booking. Please note that every effort will be made to secure your special request; however, they cannot always be guaranteed.
Despite the size of the country, standard time throughout China. GMT +8.
Our small group tours provide you with a good balance of group activity and personal discovery.
We generally use modern luxury Cars and minibuses for tours. We also walk where and when it’s suitable.
Water & Beverages:
Our hotels offer bottled water and bottled water is provided throughout the day. Alcoholic beverages are not included in the cost of this tour
- Imperial Palaces of the Ming & Qing Dynasties in Beijing (1987)
- Summer Palace & Imperial Garden Beijing (1998)
- Temple of Heaven: an Imperial Sacrificial Alter in Beijing (1998)
- The Great Wall (1987)
- Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor (1987)
- The Lijiang River Scenic Zone at Guilin (1996)
Day 1: Monday: Beijing: (SD)
Ni hao & welcome to China. You will be met by our VIP staff and transferred to your hotel. Depending on your arrival time, you may have free time to explore Beijing. Dinner this evening is delicious Peking Duck.
Day 2: Tuesday: Beijing: (B/L)
Depart this morning for a full day tour to some of the world’s most famous sites beginning with a walk through Tiananmen Square. Continue through the beautiful Gate of Heavenly Peace to enter the splendid Forbidden City with traditional Ming and Qing dynasty architecture; the city within a city. Visit the Emperor's clock collection and the Qing Dynasty Jewellery, Robes and Relic collection “Zhen Bao Hall”(which Westerners rarely see).
This evening you have the option to attend the Peking Opera or the Kongfu Show in the Red Theatre or linger longer over dinner.
Day 3: Wednesday: Beijing: (B/L/D)
Today travel to the delightful Summer Palace - a former imperial summer resort with the largest and the best preserved of all Imperial Gardens. Admire the amazingly vast and beautiful landscape of elegant gardens, lakes, pavilions, the Long Corridor and the Marble Boat. Enjoy a private cruise on Lake Kunming to view this magnificent site. This afternoon explore the alleyways - “Hutong” by riding in a traditional rickshaw and visit a traditional courtyard family to catch a close-up glimpses of local life. Optional cooking lesson available.
Day 4: Thursday: Beijing: (B/L)
Journey this morning to the awe-inspiring Great Wall of China; the less travelled Mutianyu section. This well preserved wall with 22 watchtowers makes an interesting walk with impressive scenic views and reflect on the enormity of this amazing structure. It’s just amazing. This afternoon visit the world renowned 'Pearl Market'. This evening is at your leisure. you may wish to visit the Beijing Opera.
Day 5: Friday: Beijing: (B/L/D)
This morning tour the spectacular Tiantan Park, within it is the Temple of Heaven, a magnificent example of 15th century mechanics and geometry whose design that follows strict numerological symbolism. This is the best preserved and largest sacrificial building complex in the world. It includes the Altar of Heaven, the Imperial Heavenly Vault and the spectacular Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests. This afternoon is at your leisure. you may wish to return to the pearl market or perhaps visit an Art Gallery.
Day 6: Saturday: Beijing – Xian: (B/D)
Visit the famous Pearl Market (a must for all shoppers) before you transfer to the airport for your flight to Xi’an. Xian is one of China’s oldest cities and is the starting point of the Silk Road, it possesses a rich mix of culture and people. On arrival, En route to the hotel, we visit the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, designed to house Buddhist scriptures brought back from India by a travelling monk. This evening enjoy a traditional Dumpling Banquet.
Day 7: Sunday: Xi’an: (B/L/D)
Today’s highlight is one of the most spectacular and memorable places in China and one of their most important archaeological discoveries of the 20th century. The Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum. The tomb of the first emperor of Qin Dynasty, Qin Shi Huang being buried for over 2000 years; was unearthed accidentally in 1974 by farmers digging a well.This sight is truly a breath-taking experience. Lunch is at a famous local restaurant. This afternoon, we explore the old city, an interesting fusion of both Middle Eastern and traditional Chinese architectural styles. We visit the Grand Mosque were you can enjoy a moment of reflection. This evening, be entertained at the Tang Dynasty Music and Dance Show.
Day 8: Monday: Xi’an – Guilin: (B/L)
Sight seeing this morning features Xian’s ancient city wall, one of only a few well-preserved city walls in China. Perhaps you may like to rent a bicycle and traverse along the top of the wall’s perimeter for the finest views of this historic city; it’s an unforgettable experience .Then we visit the Provincial History Museum. After enjoying lunch at a famous Cantonese restaurant, we transfer to the airportfor our flight to Guilin.
Day 9: Tuesday: Guilin – Li River – Yangshuo: (B/L/D)
Today’s highlight is a cruise excursion along the Li River that will take you to Yangshuo. Upon arrival, stroll along the west street, have a short cycling trip around the village (electric car is an alternative) and pay a visit to a villager’s home en route. Cycling along the lane through the village, savour the breathtaking scenic countryside. This short bicycle tour will be a memorable part of your China tour.
Day 10: Wednesday: Yangshuo – Guilin: (B/L/D)
Later this morning, drive back to Guilin and visit the Seven Star Park, the Elephant Trunk Hill and the Reed Flute Cave, which is also one of the city’s most famous sights with its multi-coloured lighting and fantastic stalagmites and stalactites
Day 11: Thursday: Guilin – Longsheng – Guilin: (B/L)
Today we visit the Dragon’s Backbone Rice Terraces north of Guilin. Located high on a mountain side, these were first cultivated in the 13th century and are an amazing site stretching layer upon layer up the mountain. The Zhuang and Yao nationalities live here, the Yao women well known for their very long hair. Lunch will be in Pingan Village. You will have the option of walking between scenic lookout points behind the village, well worth it for the views.
Day 12: Friday: Guilin – Shanghai: (B/D)
Morning flight to Shanghai. This afternoon stroll the French Concession before enjoying a a relaxing moment at Xintiandi, a restored area full of distinctive “Shikumen” houses, where modern villas and cafes sit next to ancient neighbourhood blocks. This evening enjoy the spectacular and breath-taking performance of the Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe.
Day 13: Saturday: Shanghai: (B/L/SD)
This morning we visit the amazing Shanghai Urban Planning Centre then onto the awe-inspiring Shanghai Museum. We then travel to the tranquil Yu Garden with its winding alleyways lined with shops, tea houses and restaurants. Later this afternoon enjoy a spectacular view of Shanghai from its tallest building.
This evening enjoy dinner in a special place.
Day 14: Sunday: Shanghai: (B)
This tour concludes after breakfast. At your leisure before transferring to the airport for your onward or homebound journey.
Depending on your departure itinerary, you may have time for some last-minute sightseeing and shopping. We are able to organise our private guide to accompany you.
Some guests may wish to stay longer in this amazing country; please don’t hesitate to contact Boutique Tours & Travel for further travel arrangements.
|Beijing:||Raffles||Beijing International Hotel||Beijing Plaza Hotel|
|Xian:||Sofitel Hotel||Hyatt Regency Hotel||Xian Quest Hotel|
|Guilin:||Shangri La Hotel||The Sheraton||Guilin Plaza Hotel|
|Yangshuo:||Yangshuo Resort||Green Lotus Hotel||Mognolia Hotel|
|Shanghai:||The Mansion||Hua Ting||Yafan Longmen Hotel|
You may choose to mix your hotels; if so please contact us for a new quote
If you have Salary Packaging at your workplace, you may be entitled to claim for accommodation and or meals.
Contact us to discuss this further.