CHINA: Boutique Golden Triangle - 12 Days:
Destinations: Shanghai, Xian, Beijing, Tongli & Suzhou
Tour Grading EASY: Suitable for travellers with an average level of fitness and mobility
Tour Commences In: Shanghai
Number of Days: 12 days / 11 nights
Accommodation: 5 or 4 Star Modern & Boutique Hotels
Leaders: Australian tour manager and professional expert guides
Tour Concludes In: Shanghai
Tour Style: Luxury Escorted Small Group Tour
Meals: Breakfasts; 11: Lunches; 7: Dinners; 5:
Transportation: Luxury private chauffeur driven air-conditioned vehicles
Experience the very best of China’s treasures in 12 days. Shanghai was referred to as the ‘Paris of the East’ during colonial times and is now a stunning, stylish modern city. Discover Xian, the old Imperial Capital of China, and the eastern terminus of the Silk Road, and witness the incredible Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum. Beijing, the Northern Capital of modern China and home to many historical and cultural treasures. Ponder the enormity that is Tiananmen Square and be in awe as you climb the Great Wall at Mutianyu. Beijing is now a world famous metropolis, a popular and fashionable tourist destination. Enjoy a delightful gondola ride in the water village of Tongli and wander through the classic gardens of Suzhou; the ‘Venice of the East’
We fly between major centres so you arrive refreshed with more time for sightseeing - and shopping. So grab a girl-friend or two and come join us and share our passion in the journey!!
Includes: Architecture, Cuisine, Culture, Gardens & Shopping experiences
Boutique Special Highlights:
- Experience the Bund early in the morning and be amazed by the symbols of new Shanghai
- Tour the “Hutongs” know as “Langtons” in Shanghai and join us to meet the locals who live here
- Explore the historic Yu garden & markets
- Be overwhelmed by the staggering collection of artefacts on display at the famous Shanghai Museum
- Visit the fascinating Shanghai Urban Planning Centre
- Lunch & shop in the charming tree-lined avenues of the French Concession;
- Enjoy a spectacular and breath-taking performance of the Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe
- Tour the World Financial Centre Tower the sixth tallest tower in Asia and with-in it the highest hotel in the world
- Walk & shop the delightful French Concession and enjoy the highlights of Shanghai’s international lifestyle
- Be in awe at the Museum of the First Emperor Qin Shihuang’s Terra-cotta Warriors and Horses and view it from a VIP Platform
- Take a Bike ride or a battery car for a complete circuit of the City Wall built during the Tang Dynasty when the city, Chang’an, was capital.
- Enjoy a special performance of the Tang Dynasty Show
- Discover the new architecture of Beijing including the Water Cube and Birds Nest stadium
- Experience Tiananmen Square and be in awe of the largest square in the world
- Be in awe of the spectacular Great Wall at Mutianyu & its breath-taking grandness as the world’s largest military structure
- Be overwhelmed in the Forbidden City and explore the complicated royal life of the Ming and Qing emperors
- Be entranced whilst trying to comprehend the cosmic harmonies of the Temple of Heaven and the Ancient heavenly worshipping and sacrificial ceremonies
- Be delighted at the Emperors holiday resort - the exquisite Summer Palace - a playground for the imperial court
- Be captivated with a rickshaw-ride as you weave your way through the Hutongs
- Perhaps join a cooking class in the Hutongs
- Travel at speeds in excess of 300 kilometres per hour on Shanghai’s famous Maglev bullet train
Boutique Special Dining:
Enjoy fabulous fine dining with wonderful cuisine and regional delicacies
- Dine at the restaurant where the Queen and Bill Clinton have
- Enjoy amazing views of Shanghai’s skyline during your fabulous Welcome Dinner
- Enjoy cocktails and a delicious dinner whilst overlooking Peoples Park
- Be entertained at lunch watching noodle making
- Witness a Tang dynasty performance while dining on a Tang Dynasty Special Menu
- Dine on a sumptuous Peking Duck Banquet
- We have Lunch at a special place at the summer Palace
- Spend twilight enjoying cocktails and dinner in the delightful Lake District
- Enjoy a fabulous lunch at the Great Wall
- Enjoy cocktails and snacks in this magical fine dining restaurant followed by a very special Kitchen Tour
- Boutique Small Group Tour - up to 14 guests
- Entrance Fees to all the amazing “Must See” Boutique Special Highlights including:
- Unique cultural experiences
- Visits to numerous World Heritage-listed sites
- Exclusive and private International Domestic airport arrival and departure transfers first and last day of tour for all tour guests
- Domestic Flights -Economy Class: Shanghai - Xian – Beijing - Shanghai (Price and availability for upgrade available on request)
- Centrally located 5 & 4/3 star modern & boutique Hotels as per your choice
- Hotel porterage (1 bag per person)
- Meals as indicated in Itinerary; B = Breakfast: L=Lunch: D=Dinner:
- Chauffeur driven luxury air-conditioned private luxury vehicles for all transfers & sightseeing
- Fully escorted by a passionate Australian Tour Manager and our experienced professional tour guide
- Entrance fees to all sights, monuments, shows and activities as per the itinerary
- Welcome Cocktails
- Water, soft drink, tea and coffee with all lunches and dinners included in the itinerary
- Personal Travel Towel
- Bottled water included whilst touring in vehicle
- An exclusive BT&T information travel booklet
- Day 1: Arrive: Shanghai:
- Day 2: Shanghai:
- Day 3: Shanghai:
- Day 4: Shanghai - Xian:
- Day 5: Xian:
- Day 6: Xian - Beijing:
- Day 7: Beijing:
- Day 8: Beijing:
- Day 9: Beijing:
- Day 10: Beijing - Shanghai:
- Day 11: Shanghai, Tongli, Suzhou & Shanghai:
- Day 12: Depart Shanghai:
We offer you the choice of either 5 or 4 star hotel accommodation for this Golden Triangle Tour. We highly recommend all our hotels as they have excellent services and facilities. All rooms have modern facilities, private bathrooms with double or two twin beds.
Climate & Clothing:
The best time to travel to Shanghai is in spring and autumn; March to May and mid August to November. The majority of rain falls in the summer months, whilst the coldest period is January to February.
The general rule is to bring comfortable clothing including lightweight cottons for the warmer months and warmer clothing for the cooler months. Comfortable walking shoes are essential as is a light waterproof jacket. We provide a detailed packing list to all our guests prior to departure.
Currency & Money Matters:
Chinese currency is known as RENMINBI (RMB) and the basic unit is the YUAN (made up 100 Fen). It is similar to the Australian system where $1=100cents. The current exchange rate is approximately $1.00 = 6.5.00 yuan. We recommend that you take a combination of cash, credit cards and travellers’ cheques. Major foreign credit cards are acceptable in designated shops, hotels and large restaurants.
The electrical current in China is 220 volts AC. 50Hz. There are about four electric plug types with the most common plug being a two narrow pin type A, type C, type I.
You must be comprehensively insured as a condition of travelling with Boutique Travel & Tours. We recommend that you purchase insurance at the time of Booking. Boutique Tours & Travel is able to arrange your Insurance.
The official Chinese language is Mandarin (or Putonghua). There are also numerous dialects spoken.
Our hotels offer a wonderful selection of dishes at their buffet breakfasts and we offer a wide variety of both menu and venue for lunches and evening meals.
Medical Services & Facilities:
All our hotels have access to a doctor if required. They can also assist guests with purchasing of medicine. The international hospitals in Shanghai are excellent and have western trained medical and surgical specialists. Excellent dental care is also available.
Passports & Visas:
To enter China you require a passport valid for at least six months beyond the date of entry and with at least two blank pages. A visa is required for most guests and will be organised prior to departure.
We welcome single travellers and we are able to arrange single accommodation. We negotiate strongly to keep single supplements at a reasonable cost. If you wish to share a room, we will endeavour to match you with another single guest and adjust the costs accordingly and refund any costs after you return home. We accept no responsibility for the suitability of a room partner.
Specific requests such as adjacent or connecting rooms, bedding requests, smoking or non-smoking rooms and special dietary needs or any other arrangement should be advised at time of booking. Please note that every effort will be made to secure your special request; however, they cannot always be guaranteed.
Despite the size of the country, China is standard time throughout China. GMT +8.
We know that some of our guests are not familiar with tipping customs, so any gratuities ( eg to waiters, guides, drivers etc) are taken care of as part of your fee. If you wish to Tip individually you are able to.
We use modern luxury and deluxe minibuses. These are spacious, comfortable, well maintained safe vehicles. We also walk where and when it’s suitable.
Water & Beverages:
Our hotels offer bottled water, and soft drinks. Bottled water is provided everyday on tour. Chinese tea is available with most meals. Alcoholic beverages are not included in the cost of this tour except for ’welcome cocktails’ on the second evening.
- Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor (1987)
- The City Wall of Xi’an (1996)
- The Great Wall (1987)
- Imperial Palaces of the Ming & Qing Dynasties in Beijing & Shenyang (1987)
- Summer Palace & Imperial Garden Beijing (1998)
- Temple of Heaven: an Imperial Sacrificial Alter in Beijing (1998)
Day 1: Arrive Shanghai:
Ni hao & welcome to Shanghai; China’s most exciting and vibrant cosmopolitan city. You will be met by your tour manager and driver transferred to your hotel. Depending on your arrival time, you may have free time to explore Shanghai. Your tour manager r is able to offer you a number of options including shopping and or dining.
Day 2: Shanghai: (B/L/SD)
Option 1: Begin the day with a visit to the fabulous Shanghai clothing market where there are hundreds of stalls selling rolls of fabric, from traditional Chinese silks to cottons, linen, wool, leather and cashmere, with dress makers in every stall ready to assist you.
Option 2: Walk Shanghai’s ‘longtangs’ or ‘hutongs’ followed by a history walking tour of the ‘Bund’
Then it’s onto the exquisite Yu Yuan (Garden Of Contentment) full of history and culture; and of course more shopping. This evening, be entranced by the buildings from Shanghai’s heyday of 1930’s, followed by ‘welcome cocktails’ and dinner on the Bund with a magnificent view of ‘New Shanghai’.
Day 3: Shanghai: (B)
This morning we visit The People’s Square and the Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall then onto the fabulous Shanghai Museum, one of the best in China. We visit the French Concession areas for lunch and shopping. Free afternoon. Later in the afternoon we will gather to enjoy our ‘magical mystery tour’ of Shanghai.
Day 4: Shanghai - Xian: (B/D)
Later this morning we fly to Xian and transfer to our Hotel via a tour of the ‘Wild Goose Pagoda’. This evening we will enjoy a Dumpling Dinner at a famous restaurant.
Day 5: Xian: (B/L/SD)
Today’s highlight is one of the most spectacular and memorable places in China and one of the most important archaeological discoveries of the 20th century. The Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum. The terracotta army was designed to defend the Emperor’s tomb and ensure that he would have a standing army to protect him in the after-life. The tomb of the first emperor of Qin Dynasty, Qin Shi Huang being buried for 2000 years; was unearthed accidentally in 1974 by farmers digging a well. This sight is truly breath-taking experience. Lunch is at a local famous restaurant. This afternoon we visit to the Shanxi Lishi Bowuguan Provincial Museum. In the evening we will enjoy Tang Dynasty Dinner Show.
Day 6: Xian - Beijing: (B/L)
It’s an early morning departure to visit Xian’s ancient city wall, one of the few well-preserved city walls in China; still intact along its entire 9-mile rectangle around its former Imperial Palace. Over a span of some 4,000 years Xian has been the capital to 11 dynasties. Should you choose, bicycles are available for rent allowing you to cycle along the top of the wall’s perimeter for the finest views of this historic city; it’san unforgettable experience. We then visit the Muslim Grand Mosque designed to house Buddhist scriptures brought back from India by a travelling monk and onto the Muslim Quarter, an interesting fusion of both Middle Eastern and traditional Chinese architectural styles. We enjoy a moment of reflection. There is also an opportunity to shop for a moment before we fly to Beijing. Upon arrival in Beijing we will transfer to our hotel. This evening concludes with the best traditional Peking Duck Dinner..
Day 7: Beijing: (B/L/D)
After breakfast, we will visit the spectacular Tiantan Park and within the Temple of Heaven, a magnificent example of 15th century mechanics and geometry whose design follows strict numerological symbolism and a most significant imperial building for the Chinese. This is the best preserved and largest sacrificial building complex in the world. It includes the Altar of Heaven, the Imperial Heavenly Vault and the spectacular Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests, whose intricate interior was constructed without use of a single nail. This afternoon is at your leisure or you wish to choose from one of the following options. (or we may have time for both?)
Option 1: Visit the fabulous pearl market and silk market, both overflowing with small booths selling a range of goodies from clothing, handbags, watches and sunglasses, just to name a few. Bargain, haggle for your purchase and enjoy the experience.
Option 2: Cooking Course – Dumplings.
This evening enjoy a magical moment in Beijing.
Day 8: Beijing: (B/L/D)
Today be in awe as we ‘soak-up’ the atmosphere that is China as we explore some of the world’s most famous sites beginning with a walk through Tiananmen Square; built on the orders of Mao Zedong. It is the largest public square in the world and is said to have the capacity to hold over one million people. For those who wish to, we can visit Mao Zedong’s Mausoleum. We continue through the beautiful Gates of Heavenly Peace and enter the splendid Forbidden City; the renowned Chinese Imperial Palace with traditional Ming and Qing dynasty architecture. Itcontains 9,999 rooms and large courtyardsand is known as the city within a city. It was once the sole preserve of the Chinese Emperors from which the Emperor’s ruled the land for over 500 years. Following lunch we will visit the Summer Palace, which was the seasonal retreat for the Qing Emperors in Beijing. The largest and the best preserved of all imperial palaces. We’ll admire theamazingly vast and beautiful landscape of elegant gardens, lakes, pavilions, the Long Corridor and the Marble Boat.
Day 9: Beijing: (B/L)
This morning we journey to the awe-inspiring Great Wall of China at Mutianyu located North East of Beijing in Huai Rou County. This section of the "The Wall" is about 75 KM from the centre of Beijing is one of the best-preserved parts of the Great Wall. Mutianyu section of the Great Wall used to serve as the northern barrier defending the capital and the imperial tombs. Walk along the wall admiring the panoramic views and reflect on the enormity of the material and labour required for the construction of the Wall.... This evening, enjoy a relaxing evening with a spectacular view of the South Gate.
Day 10: Beijing - Shanghai: (B)
Later this morning we transfer to the airport for our flight to Shanghai. After lunch we return to the fabulous Shanghai fabric market. This evening we unwind with another magical mystery tour and enjoy a panoramic view of Shanghai; a magical moment.
Day 11: Shanghai - Tongli - Suzhou - Shanghai: (B/L)
It’s an early start this morning; we are off to Tongli. Here, perhaps take a gondola ride and experience the charm of Tongli’s waterways. You have free time to browse and wander the cobbled stone streets and arched stone bridges and reflect on this amazing journey. We then drive to Suzhou, famous for its silk and its UNESCO heritage listed classical Chinese Gardens. We’ll enjoy a private tour of one of these famous gardens and then it’s onto learning about silk manufacturing at the Silk Museum followed by a visit to the Embroidery Institute. Both have an extensive range of silk products for sale. Later this afternoon wereturn to Shanghai.
Day 12: Depart Shanghai: (B)
Our small group tour concludes after breakfast and for most guests today it is time to say farewell to acquaintances, new-found friends and China.
At your leisure before transferring to the airport for your onward or home-bound journey.
Depending on your departure itinerary, you may have time for some last-minute shopping. We are able to organise our private guide to accompany you. Our Tour Director can assist as required.
Some guests may wish to stay another day or more in this amazing city; please don’t hesitate to contact Boutique Tours & Travel for further travel arrangements.
|Shanghai:||Le Meridien||Majestic Plaza Hotel||N/A|
|Xian:||Sofitel Hotel||The Bell Hotel||N/A|
|Beijing:||Raffels Hotel||Novotel Hotel||N/A|
|Shanghai:||Le Meridien||Majestic Plaza Hotel||N/A|
You may choose to mix your hotels; if so please contact us for a new quote.
If you have Salary Packaging at your workplace, you may be entitled to claim for accommodation and or meals. Contact us to discuss this further.
- Shanghai, China
- Yu Gardens, Shanghai
- Yu Gardens, Shanghai
- Morning in Shanghai
- Yu Gardens, Shanghai
- 'Hutong' Shanghai
- Urban Planning Centre, Shanghai
- Shanghai Museum
- Shanghai Museum
- Shanghai Museum
- Summer Palace
- Summer Palace
- Peking Duck
- Great Wall
I just wanted to let you know how fantastic your tour to China was. I loved Shanghai especially, it was out of this world, and the Terracotta warriors were just amazing and Beijing had so much to offer. The itinerary was terrific and having a small group really allowed us to experience things in a more personal way. Your support and advice helped us every step of the way and nothing was too much trouble due to your wonderful planning. Thank you so very much.
Eleanor V, Neerim South – Australia