ITALY: Venice Extension Tour
Tour Grading MODERATE: Suitable for travellers with an above average level of fitness and mobility
Tour Commences In: Venice
Number of Days: 4 days / 3 nights
Accommodation: Luxury / Deluxe
Leaders: Australian Tour Manager and professional expert guide
Tour Concludes In: Venice
Tour Style: Luxury / Deluxe Escorted Small Group Tour
Meals: Breakfasts; 3: Lunches; 1:
Transportation: Luxury / Deluxe private chauffeur driven air-conditioned vehicles
If you are travelling to Italy, Venice is a treasure not to be missed.
Venice is an engineering marvel, ornate palaces and marble churches built on top of ancient posts rammed into the very muddy banks of the lagoon. The Venetians were such practical people, escaping the barbarians from the north they managed to build a stunning city in the most inhospitable of places- and what a city it is.
Venice is magnificent. Its main square, St Mark’s, can quite clearly be judged the most beautiful in all of Italy – the Doge’s Palace sits overlooking the lagoon next to the magnificent St Marks Basilica – so many treasure in such a small space.
- Explore St Mark’s basilica (Basilica di San Marco), often seen as the living testimony of Venice’s links with Byzantium
- Doge’s Palace, once Venice's political and judicial hub; Doge's Palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the Republic of Venice. It was built in Gothic style
- Visit Torre dell’Orologio, a clock tower built between 1496 and 1506
- Punt down one of the city's picturesque waterways in a private boat
- View the Bridge of Sighs - known by the sound the prisoners made when they glimpsed their last view of Venice before their incarceration.
- Experience the Grand Canal is on board a vaporetto
- Discover the city's best shop for gelato
- First Class fast train travel to the train station in Venice from Florence
- Accommodation in superior 3 or 4 star hotel close to Rialto Bridge – twin share
- All transportation while in Venice and accompanied by a guide
- Exclusive Classic Tour of Venice with expert guide
- Grand Canal Tour on our own private boat with our expert Venetian guide
- Meals where indicated in the itinerary
- Expert local guides
- Entrance into all houses, churches and galleries, when accompanied by a guide
- Day 1: Arrive Venice
- Day 2: Venice
- Day 3: Venice
- Day 4: Depart Venice
We meet at the train station at midday and travel to our hotel by private boat where, after settling in, we will have an orientation walk to St Mark’s Square to discover one of the most beautiful squares in all of Italy.
After breakfast, we take our first exclusive tour of Venice – this tour is just for our group with an expert Venice guide.
Our exclusive Classic Venice Tour
Our small group tour to Venice will allow us to take a sneak peek inside the most important buildings in Venice: The Doge’s palace and Saint Mark’s church. The Doge’s Palace tells of the fascinating history, art and culture of the Venetian Republic.
We’ll visit the magnificent halls of the Venetian government so richly decorated by the most important artists of the XVI th century and the Doge’s private apartments. We’ll also cross the famous Bridge of Sighs to see the old prisons of the Republic.
Saint Mark’s church. Close to the Doge’s palace is the church which was once the Doge’s private chapel and nowadays the Venetian cathedral - a rare example of Byzantine art with its golden mosaics and the “Pala d’Oro” (Golden Alterpiece) rich in enamels, precious stones and jewels. Inside this church one can also visit the Gallery in order to see the original bronze horses brought from Constantinople during the second Crusade
In the afternoon, you might decide to further explore the many intriguing back-streets of Venice, where daily life can be observed.
Breakfast and lunch/dinner
This morning we take a tour of the Grand Canal of Venice by vaporetto.
Our Grand Canal Tour
The Venetian “Canalasso” (Gran Canal) is the main “street” in Venice; it was once the main residential area for Noblemen and seat of the most important commercial activities.
Moving along its banks you’ll be enchanted by the extraordinary sequence of palaces and churches facing the water.
In the afternoon you might decide to tour the outlying islands of Murano, Burano etc to view the artisans at their work of glass making. The window shopping here is irresistible with the fascinating colours of the glass and jewellery.
We say arriverderci to Venice…from here you can move to other parts of Italy easily Milan, Verona, Bologna etc, please contact us if you need assistance.